The reading this week was enjoyable for me. I have found some things in the reading that I have always agreed with. For example, the importance of the liberal arts in education and future development of technologies and economy and the future of the middle class.
Personally, I love the liberal arts and have consistently participated in them in some form or another through out high school. I started taking choral and voice classes from 8th grade and continued through my senior year. I have loved to sing all my life and through that I’ve been able to improve my grades through various strategies that I personally use to remember facts, such as making little songs up or using songs that I knew to remind me of little things. In 9th and 10th grade, I participated in the school musical as well as a small musical my show choir put on during my 9th grade year. Continuing into my 11th grade year I actually began going to a performing arts school with focuses on Theatre and Voice. The point behind this small timeline was to show the major things I’ve done in the liberal arts and then to state that I have throughout my high school career tested and scored in the top 10% of my class in all subjects. Through my personal experiences I know the liberal arts are a major contributor to my education and my success, allowing me to be as creative as possible and give me an edge in the middle class market, if not give me an advantage to progress even higher.
The middle class has always been something I’ve looked at, probably not in the sense of the “middle class” but more in a sense of my future. When looking into careers I had a very hard time trying to find something that I could have more of a sense of security in my job lasting. I considered many fields and have yet to completely decide on what I’m going to progress in my education towards. I’ve narrowed it down from 10 subjects to 2, Chemical engineering or a Masters in Computer Science with specifics in Binary Math.
As someone whom will need to become a new middler, I will need to develop various personality traits and skills to make sure I am not left behind in the working world. The characteristics of a new middler would be flexibility, creativity, and a competitive work ethic. Some skills that we’ll need as new middlers will be a mix of standard jobs with a twist combining with computers, the book gives one example of film and digital photography skills being melded with computers to take a standard business of film development and editing into the new age of computers to allow digital editing such as morphing. These twists on standard business come about because of a passion for a subject that pushes someone to have the drive to continue doing what they can to do what they love.
The book refers to the equation of CQ + PQ > IQ. CQ refers to the level of curiosity one has, PQ refers to the level of passion one has, and finally IQ is someone’s level of intelligence. The equation just states that in the future job market employers will be looking for people with passion and curiosity over their level of intelligence. If someone has passion and curiosity they can learn anything and enjoy doing anything very quickly and easily. This is not the only thing changing with the shift into a flat world scheme. The development of computer systems have not just effected individuals but the global economic system taking a free trade economic system globally.
The concept of free trade is that there are no tariffs and subsides to goods being exported or imported between countries. This concept allows countries to pay only shipping costs and not taxes on their products. Therefore allowing companies to build their products by off shoring and export the finished products all over the world. The reason for the tariffs that we charge on exporting goods is to maintain our own economy and to discourage off shoring and outsourcing jobs.

No comments:
Post a Comment