Computers have been a major part of my life since I was very young. Although I haven’t done much intensive work as far as they’re concerned, I loved exploring the Mac as a very young child; playing games and navigating around to see what trouble I could cause. Moving from the Mac to a Windows 98’ machine didn’t seem to change much for me, I was too young to really see the difference between the two machines. One difference that I’ve found has still prevailed to this day is the ease at which I can get something on a Windows machine to bug out. I learned many of my computer skills from screwing up a system and having to go back into the system and fixing the problem, usually with the help of an online forum or several.
One of my favorite memories from when I was a child playing with a computer was when a friend of mine and I explored my elementary school’s computer system and found a work around that would allow us to install almost any computer game we wanted onto the system. After the school patched that up we found a way to play any game we wanted off of a flash drive, that way there was almost no trace that we’d ever been playing the games on the computers. Over the next years of my schooling I didn’t use computers very often unless I needed to because my parents restricted access to all electronics at my house, allowing us minimal time on them.
I picked up computers again just for fun part way through high school and did a lot of work on several, even becoming the techie in my group of friends, if a friend had a problem they always knew that I could sit down and look at it for a little bit and find a fix. the problem with many of those fixes is that they could take a few hours to repair. One of these experiences was with a computer that wouldn’t even turn on, it was a joy. I began by flashing the BIOS to get the computer to at least get through the BIOS but would still not turn on. I tried multiple things for the next steps including spending hours formatting and wiping a flash drive, then attempting to create a bootable USB. (I was unsuccessful in doing but I did discover just recently that all I needed was a separated partition with a copy of a Windows 98’ kernel on it which would make it bootable to install Windows XP.) After being unsuccessful in my attempts to boot from a flash drive with the XP data on it, I turned to a more conventional means which was to simply borrow a USB disk drive and use a XP install disk I had laying around. This story was one of the most extensive software fixes I have ever done because not only did the computer have no ‘heartbeat’ but it was a netbook which do not have disk drives. As far as hardware, I have minor abilities to repair it and can replace any part as a whole. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to learn how to solder parts to physically repair a piece of hardware.
Although I have a moderate background in being able to repair computer systems it was always cumbersome. I have found myself frustrated because of the shear numbers of repairs that never seemed to all be fixed. The last few years I decided I wanted to try something new so I began working towards buying myself a Macbook Air. I reached that goal just this last January and ever since receiving my Macbook I have decided that for my personal computer I will never look back to Windows. I can’t seem to screw this thing up no matter how much I mess with it. Any of the fixes I’ve had to do were in relation to a software update I received that caused certain compatibility issues with another application but these issues were easily and quickly fixed by myself and I have never run into the exact problem again. Now in the past with my Windows OS systems that would be a major problem because any new problem needed to be researched and fixed but with my Mac even though I don’t run into repeat problems the issues I run into are so infrequent that the research is enjoyable instead of a hassle. This has saved me hours of tinkering and allows me to stay on top of my school work when it tends to be computer based.

I'm jealous of your Mac Book savvy and I think you should exploit it as far as possible. Your curiousness could really be a part of your genius!
ReplyDelete